2024-10-10

TANGERINS FOR DONATO





  Mandarins for Donato


Every time my brother Donato came to visit we bought fruit for him to take some to the hotel, because for him to eat some fruit at night "cleans me" he said. 

My younger brother had his peculiarities since, like all younger brothers or sisters, they enjoy the pampering of others. Being the most spoiled, their whims were curiosities or celebrated graces, over time they acquire fastidious attitudes or behaviors. There were dishes that he did not eat and my mother prepared others for him, especially despite my father's anger and the envy of his older brothers. But... he was the prettiest one, the nicest one... and the smallest.

We were happy to receive him alone or with his wife and daughters. He was also capricious when he grew up, on one occasion he asked what we wanted him to bring for lunch and Bianca told him that she could bring empanadas that he liked. He brought ravioli that he, for the sauce and another reason, did not eat.

But during the last few years the visits in Italy were very beautiful. During one of those we went to Saint Moritz on a trip of a beautiful alpine landscapes. In another we went to celebrate Christmas in Lugano, in the central square with the big Christmas tree and the food stalls that with the cold is accompanied by hot or alcoholic drinks. We had to go to a closed place, for us street food was very cold. 

 

During the last visits he came to accompany me given with my health problem, so as not to run the risk of falling again he recommended me to place handrails on the stairs, which we did and also recommended me to use a cane, for this we went again to Lugano where there was a pharmacy that sold them. I bought a very cute cherry wood one. 

Since he liked to eat some fruit at night and stayed with Marta his wife in a nearby hotel, I went to the supermarket to buy a selection of fruits for him to choose and take away, since those who travel do not know where there is a fruit shop. On a previous occasion we placed several dishes with fruit on the table. He brought a platter full of tangerines to his place, began to eat and only stopped eating when there was not a single one more left. From that day on with Bianca we knew we had to buy too many tangerines. 

A week ago we went to the Shopping Mall and I have the chore to select fruit, I bought a kilo of tangerines, but when I left I saw a special sample of 2.5Kg boxes of tangerines. So, I bought a box that in case my brother decides to come there is no shortage of tangerines. I know that last year he decided with some sadness to die, but knowing his peculiarities it would not be at all strange that if he finds out that there is a box of special tangerines  and he decides to come. Therefore, if you see him, please tell him that there is a special scented box of tangerines at home for him. 



  PIETRO                                                  

 

Scientists claim that millions of years after humans disappear from the earth, the last to move on will be ants. With this knowledge, we should think about moving to another dimension to continue our experiences, because as Lao Tse says, he who dies and does not perish is eternal.



©PietroGrieco

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



6 comments:

  1. So tender and emotive A hug .Ines

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sweet tribute from Pietro to Donato. The love is so apparent
    D S

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story of the tangerines is beautiful.
    May be you will have an angel visitor tonight
    S M

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting letter. Pietro is very honest in his expression about his brother. And obviously very grateful to him for his recent report.
    The letter seems to be written with a lot of love and affection for him
    J M

    ReplyDelete
  5. This letter on Donato's Memory is excellent . I love it
    I J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the acknowledge of life progression/moving on
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Translate

Wikipedia

Search results

Powered By Blogger

Featured Post

TANGERINS FOR DONATO

   Mandarins for Donato Every time my brother Donato came to visit we bought fruit for him to take some to the hotel, because for him to eat...